Monday, November 2, 2009

I Love My Job

*Pasted from an email sent to our prayer team on 10/31.
*The photo on the left is from the Ramadan fastathon hosted by the MSA at WSU in September

Sometimes I really love my job. Last Wednesday at UM Dearborn I was sitting in the University Center when a student from the InterVarsity chapter "randomly" approached and sat down with me. Though neither of us anticipated it, we were soon talking real-life theology for almost 2 hours. It was unusually deep, and I think I encouraged her in the Lord. But I was encouraged too because it was so God-centered. Immediately after that a friend of mine came to pray with me about how God could help us stimulate more intentional outreach to Muslim students on campus. So we went to the designated inter-faith prayer room where Muslims students often pray as well. As we prayed for the next 35 minutes, some Muslim students also came in. So there we all were, Brian and I sitting on the floor cross-legged and talking to God aloud (though we adjusted the content of our prayers while they were there), with them praying the way Muslims do right beside us. At times there were simultaneous audible prayers being offered almost in "competition" with each other. It was a little weird, but in an interesting way. Soon after we finished Brian and I ran into a student named Mustafa (president of the Thaqalayne Muslim Student Association) who invited us to see a film showing about Mary the Mother of Jesus from an Islamic perspective later in the afternoon, which we attended. The film was followed by some reasonably profitable discussion about the fact that the film referred to Jesus as "the Savior" and whether that comes from the Qur'an or not. I was happy that we were able to give witness to the Savior and to build rapport with a few new Muslim students. ...And I thought it was going to be a dull day!

"For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works." Titus 2:11-14 ESV

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive