Thursday, August 9, 2012

A Delightful Dinner Conversation with My Friend Ali

A Pakistani-American friend of mine, Ali (20), invited me to an open house at the mosque he attends in Rochester Hills, about an hour north of where we live. (I met him in a very unusual way in the first place. You can read that again or for the first time in this blog). Since then Ali and I've been corresponding semi-regularly with a recent "balloon" of discussion about saviorhood.

At 2:00 I arrived at the mosque in an area where there's apparently a significant Pakistani (sunni Muslim) community. Although it started at 10:00 a.m. I declined to go earlier because I didn't want to be there all day. Besides, I made Ali promise that he would go for coffee with me after the event. They were just finishing up their afternoon prayers when I got there, and soon Ali came out to greet me with a friendly smile. (He had grown a characteristic Islamic-looking beard since the first time I saw him.) He proceeded to show me around and introduce me to some men who were mingling with the visitors like me: first a college student named Khurram whom I recognized from Wayne State U, then a 50-ish man whom I recognized from a Ford interfaith event, and finally the imam (equivalent to a pastor). In their large multi-purpose room they had a number of exhibits to promote Islam: one about "Green Islam", one about the ancestral line of the prophets from Adam to Muhammad, one about science and Islam, and a few others. There were a few other non-Muslims present who were also listening to presentations about Islam, and there had been presumably more throughout the day.

After about 45 minutes I decided to enjoy some of their food, and I sat down at a table to eat with some men who were already sitting there. After some small talk I gradually introduced some probing questions about the way to heaven. That took us down the path for which purpose I attended the event, into a deeper conversation that lasted over an hour. That brought us to a discussion of salvation for which Ali and Khurram joined in. What I was consistently driving at was how we can know whether God will accept us. The men characteristically explained that if one's good works outweigh their bad, they will go too heaven. Yet when I asked them, "How are you doing with that?" and "What if you die today?" none of them could express any confidence that they had a "positive balance". But they insist that "God is merciful", and that even if they have a negative balance they will only go to hell temporarily until they are purified (e.g. 1000 years or so. ...Sound familiar?) Then I lead the discussion toward the matter of universal and comprehensive sin. One man admitted that we all have the "potential for sin" which actually causes all people to sin that is beyond our desire to resist all the time, even for those who try to be pious. "But we don't believe in original sin", he asserted. "Yes you do", I responded, "You just don't call it that."

After we plumbed the depths of this subject with numerous examples and illustrations, I was impressed with how much we actually agreed on the pervasiveness of our "evil desires" which cause us to break God's laws and offend Him in many ways. Much to my surprise, one man said that human beings are "prone to rebel against God"; that we're actually "rebels at heart!" To this I could not restrain myself from exclaiming "Amen!" This is precisely what makes us guilty before God and worthy of eternal hell. Then I shared my personal story of why I believe God has saved me and given me the promise of eternal life.

"My heart was full of anger, bitterness, and confusion, and I was overpowered by my own selfish desires. I did not know the gospel at all. But in high school someone patiently explained it to me, again and again, and I was convicted of my depravity before God. For the first time I understood that my sins outweighed my good deeds, and they still do. I was on a path to hell. Then God gave me a believing heart! When I trusted Christ as Lord and Savior, by virtue of his death and resurrection, he forgave my sins and 'imputed' to me (I actually used that word) His perfect righteousness, the only reason that I can be acceptable to a holy and righteous God. Now when God sees me He sees the righteousness of Christ as a white robe placed upon me." This was especially glorious to explain! And it's glorious even reflecting on it now. Hallelujah! That's how Jesus saved me, and how I know God has given me the promise of eternal life.

The conversation went on for awhile longer, and I was one of the last people to leave. I was a little tired now, but I had made Ali promise he would go for coffee with me. There was a Starbucks nearby, so we went there, and Khurram joined us. For another hour the three of us reflected on these subjects and I elaborated on my testimony. Then we drifted into talking about prayer, and I read a little scripture from Luke 22:41-45. They also shared their perspectives and experiences as Muslims, and I listened. It was a wonderful opportunity that the Lord engineered!

Please pray for Ali and Khurram that the Lord will give them faith to believe the gospel for salvation.

"...but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect." 1 Pet. 3:15

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive